2014 in the Chinese Zodiac is the Year of the Horse, and, as we all get back into the saddle and confront the headwinds of a new year, many of us are focused ahead, not back.
Yes, the occasion of a new year often sends our thinking toward new personal goals, resolutions and challenges.
Maybe it’s a reflection of my age, but, during 2014, besides trying to achieve new goals, meet new challenges and increase my personal knowledge, I’d also like to take time to reflect on my previous achievements, previous failures and the related lessons that I’ve learned from those life experiences so far.
- What you put out comes back all the time, no matter what.
- You define your own life. Don’t let other people write your script.
- Whatever someone did to you in the past has no power over the present. Only you give it power.
- When people show you who they are, believe them the first time. (A lesson from Maya Angelou.)
- Worrying is a wasted time. Use the same energy for doing something about whatever worries you.
- What you believe has more power than what you dream, wish, or hope for. You become what you believe.
- If the only prayer you ever say is “thank you,” that will be enough. (From the German theologian and humanist Meister Eckhart.)
- The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you give.
- Failure is a signpost to turn you in another direction.
- If you make a choice that goes against what everyone else thinks, the world will not fall apart.
Several of the above words of wisdom are meaningful to me, but the list is Oprah’s list. Those are Oprah’s life truths. Not to sound self-centered, but, I think it’s important to define one’s own list of lessons in life.
What about you? Do you already have a personal list of life truths that you live by? If so, would you be willing to share some of your wisdom?
For what it’s worth and for your consideration, I’ll conclude this post by sharing one bit of life knowledge that I know for sure:
Planning is important, but the universe ultimately rewards action.
Here’s to taking action in 2014!