Though I’ve heard the lyrics of the song countless times before, somehow, in the wake of the Boston bombings, the lyrics seemed to newly engage my mind and make me pause to consider the fleeting aspect of each of our lives.
I’ve heard the old saying, “a smart women never tells her age,” so I’ll stay mum but just hint that these lyrics in the song’s middle seemed to sound out the loudest over my car radio:
I’m 45 for a moment
The sea is high
And I’m heading into a crisis
Chasing the years of my life
What about you? Listen to the 100 Years song in its entirety, and then consider these questions:
- Where is your life vessel currently headed in the sea of life?
- How many miles have you logged, which destination coordinates have you reached and which destination coordinates are planned?
- How calm and how high have you seen the waters that you’ve crossed, and how high are the waves ahead?
- What things or which people have been your harbors along the way?
- What continues to sustain you, as you continue forging ahead?
- Who is charting your path?
- More important than the questions above is this one: who is your captain?
Some of us are blessed to know the One who is the ultimate captain — a captain who has been said to be “greater than any bomb.”
If you haven’t already, I hope that you will pause to hear His siren.